RCUS Church in Garner, Iowa
In addition to our regular Sunday Worship services, Peace Reformed Church has five special worship services throughout the year on:
New Year’s Day, Good Friday, Ascension Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day
History of Peace Reformed Church in Garner, Iowa
The history of our congregation is linked with the founding of the Mission House College and Seminary, which was established in 1862. While Abraham Lincoln served as president and the Civil War was raging in battles across the south, young men who were called by God to preach were studying theology in rural Plymouth, Wisconsin. In 1878 Reverend Frederick Mosenbach who had been a student at the Mission House was called by Peace Reformed Church to be the first pastor of the newly organized church, which was established to preach the whole counsel of God. The late nineteenth-century in north central Iowa was a much different world than the one we live in. Congregants came to church using horses rather than automobiles, and there was no such thing as the incandescent or florescent light bulb. Pastors were provided not only meat, eggs, and milk, but also feed for the cows and chickens that they kept. For many years, preaching and public worship were conducted in German.
We have had a strong interest in supporting missions in the course of our history. A milestone in this respect happened in 1960 when the Classis sent Reverend Harvie Conn as a missionary to Korea. He later became a professor of missions at Westminster Theological Seminary. In recent years we helped to establish a new church in Rogers, Arkansas, where the Word of God is faithfully preached.
After Reverend Mosenbach served as the first pastor, he was followed over the course of the nineteenth, twentieth, and early twenty-first centuries by a succession of sixteen faithful ministers of the Word of God. Reverend Chester Ploeger was called to serve the congregation in 1952. During his tenure, the present church building and parsonage were built. Several ministers—William Warren, Lloyd Gross, Stephen Work, Howard Hart, and then Robert Grossman, followed Reverend Ploeger. Reverend Grossman began his ministry as our pastor in 1993. He had served as a professor at Mid-America Reformed Seminary. While here he built an airplane in the parsonage and later used it to fly to meetings of the Classis and Synod! Our three most recent pastors—Jeff DeBoer, Harvey Opp, and Mark Larson, followed him. We pray that the Lord will continue to strengthen us in the coming years as we continue to preach and teach the Word of God in our generation.
Peace Reformed Church has members from the following cities and counties in Northern Iowa: Garner, Britt, Goodell and Klemme in Hancock County; Ventura in Cerro Gordo County; Algona and LuVerne in Kossuth County; Dows in Wright County; and Hardy and Livermore in Humboldt County.